Re: SWEDISH CHARACTERS IN EMAIL: THE SUNET INITIATIVE

1994-12-05 14:05:43
I have never seen an ISO 8859-1 message on the Internet that
used escape sequences as designators.

I wrote all the charsets use "invocation and/or designation mechanisms"
                                            ^^
of ISO 2022, which is definitely true for ISO 8859/1 on the Internet.

What do you mean by "invocation and/or designation mechanism" in
this case?

In this case? Nothing special. Just "invocation and/or designation
mechanism" in general.

If you mean that the Norwegian 8-bit users talk about "ISO 8859-1"
when they talk about their character set, I can understand what
you are saying (but not that it is terribly useful), but otherwise, I don't.

I don't understand what you are talking about. Why Norwigian here?
I'm afraid you misunderstand what "invocation" means.

Anyway, in fj.editor.mule and on some mailing lists, which are part of
the Internet, escape sequences are used as designators for ISO 8859/1.

                                                Masataka Ohta