Re: SWEDISH CHARACTERS IN EMAIL: THE SUNET INITIATIVE

1994-12-02 09:13:13
Hello,
I found your sample intriguing, for several reasons:
- It is the first 2022 I have ever had reason to analyze
- It took me an hour to whip up a PERL script that parsed RFC 1345
  and used it to indicate the charset swithces
- The example uses ISO 8859-1 by shifting it into the G2 set, not
  the G0 or G1 set, and invoking it by SS1 (ESC N).
- I was not able to find the charset invoked by ESC 24 28 43, which you
  describe as "Hangul", in RFC 1345.
I was a bit surprised at the use of G2 and SS2 for 8859-1 compliance,
since this is a model which is a bit more complex than the "switch G0"
model that is used for Japanese.

Is this actually recommended coding according to ISO-2022-JP?
(I'm travelling, so I don't have the RFC collection with me; I will
look it up when I get to the IETF!)

BTW, here are the character sets I found in your message:

Charset ANSI_X3.4-1968
Charset ANSI_X3.4-1968(G2)
Charset ISO_8859-1:1987(G2)
Charset JIS_C6220-1969-jp(G2)
Charset JIS_C6226-1983

The (G2) means that it is used as the G2 set rather than the G0 set.
Regards,

            Harald T. Alvestrand