Re: CID: and MID: URL schemes (draft-levinson-cid-01.txt)

1995-11-06 17:05:20
I'm fumbling on this, and I think you may need to ask for help from
others on the IETF-822 list. I don't know how widely mail agents use
embedded comment strings in message-ID fields, for example. You may
need to explicitly call out the algorithm for determining the mid: URL
from a message with a Message-ID by removing the comments, the quotes
from quoted strings, and then encoding using the %nn hex encoding the
result into a URL. The opposite algorithm will require you to remove
the URL encoding and quote the result if it contains any special
characters.

In addition, I think you may need to change:

        id-spec = local-part "@" hostname

        id-spec  =  local-part "@" host

so as to allow numeric identifiers in message-IDs.

However, I don't know if it is necessary to change

        local-part  = 1*uchar

        local-part  =  word *("." word)             ; uninterpreted
                                                    ; case-preserved

        word =   atom
        atom = 1*uchar

and then add something that starts as follows (I'm having trouble
finishing this)...

#       where hostname and uchar are defined as in RFC 1738. The
#       id-spec is derived from the addr-spec inside a msg-id
#       of RFC 822, except that only fully qualified domain names
#       or numeric IP addresses are allowed in the "host" portion
#       (to be compatible with RFC 1738 hosts and not introduce
#       encoding of any characters in the host part), and  where
#       the local-part of the message-ID or content-ID has no
#       quoted strings.
#       Thus, to convert a message-ID into a MID URL, it is
#       necessary to remove any quotes, parenthesized comments,