Re: Let the header name be "Location:"

1995-11-20 13:49:25
On Mon, 20 Nov 1995 12:18:41 PST, "Roy T. Fielding" said:
I know what the spec says, and I say it is wrong. It is wrong because it
presumes that all header information meaningful to a body part has been
defined with the intention of being in a body-part.  The fact is that

The spec doesn't say you can't have headers that dont start with Content-.
What the spec *says* is that any such headers are not canonical MIME and
thus you can't rely on them for any MIME-related processing.  Think carefully
on that...

there are many header fields which may apply to an entity that were not
defined with body-parts in mind -- this arbitrary restriction prevents
MIME multiparts from being used for hierarchical encapsulation without
the additional overhead of the multipart/digest equivalent.

As opposed to the overhead of some *other* digestification scheme?
What was intended here?

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Engineer
                                Virginia Tech