Re: Let the header name be "Location:"

1995-11-21 12:24:58
I'm joining this debate kind of late, but:

For the situation where a MIME message consists of a single typed body
part, it's very important that user agents and gateways be able to
distinguish the headers for that body part (those beginning with
Content-*) from the headers that pertain to the message (those which
don't begin with Content-*).  (Especially gateways often need to treat
body part attributes differently from those of the message itself.)

My belief is that the need for this was discovered late in the design
of MIME.  Had we seen this earlier, we might have made a cleaner
distinction.  But when the need was identified, the Content-*
convention was the chosen solution.  It's too late to change it now.

Keith