Re: The TEXT/HTML Content Type in e-mail

1995-11-27 17:07:09
Interesting, three interpretations of the combined mid-cid URL, one for
each separator.

        Larry - "/"     A relative URL, "../cid:www@isi.org" doesn't
                        make sense in this context.

        Al    - "?"     The mid:.../cid:... URL is really a search
                        operation.

        Ed    - "#"     The cid: URL is analogous to a label in an
                        HTML entity.  [I just rediscovered this ;-)]

Previously I thought that "/" was just as good as "#", but as Larry
Masinter points out it leads to a relative notation that is unneeded
and unnecessary.  I disagree with Al Gilman that we should imply a
search, that's only one possible implementation.  Given the
implications of the three separator characters the analogy to a label
seems the most appropriate.

Ed