Re: [stdaddr] Re: Last Call: Standard Electronic Mail Addresses For ...

1996-08-04 00:36:57
At 10:05 PM -0700 8/3/96, Paul A Vixie wrote:
misunderstanding.''  The whole idea is to make sure that something the
sender does will work.  Right now, for many domains and/or organizations,

        Paul,

        Can't be done.

        The ability of human writers to invent strings that were not
expected by "liberal" software far exceeds anything you (or I) would wish
to try to counter.  That is why the standard should seek to define the one
true string for a given function.

        Really.  The human factors of the task you've defined are quite
literally impossible.

nothing the sender does will work.  That is the bug, the only bug, that

        fixing 'nothing will work' is far easier than 'everything will
work'.  While your "something the sender does will work" doesn't
automatically mean that the task is "everything" it becomes that, as soon
as you start defining aliases.

on what to do next with this thing.  If you (or anyone within the sound of
my keyclicks) doesn't like whatever that is, a competing document should be
drawn up since I think that's what the IETF process calls for.

        Allowed, yes, but collaborative resolution is the preferred process.

d/

Dave Crocker                                            +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                             fax: +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr.
dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com
Sunnyvale CA 94086 USA                       http://www.brandenburg.com

Internet Mail Consortium               http://www.imc.org,