Re: [stdaddr] Re: Last Call: Standard Electronic Mail Addresses For ...

1996-08-04 14:55:45
Paul, et al,

We gone round on the "theory" of your document

        <ftp://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vixie-ops-stdaddr-01.txt>

plenty, trading explanations and views pretty thoroughly, I think.  I doubt
that more conceptual discussion will be constructive.  I also note that
lack of input from anyone else.

By way of trying to make my suggestions more concrete, I've done a version
of your document that reflects the changes I'm suggesting.  I have not
submitted it as an I-D since that's taken to be such a formal step and my
goal is to provide something to compare against rather that submit this "in
competition" with your current draft.

What I WOULD like is for folks to look at this alternative and comment.

The arrangement of sets of addresses is significantly different.  I tried
to keep the spirit of what you did but you'll see that some of the labeling
marks some distinctions more, ummmm, markedly.

I've removed some addresses.  The only synonyms retained are ones that I
can imagine getting away without.

Some of the language has been made dictatorial, in the spirit of a
"standards" document.

The document is available at

        <http://www.brandenburg.com/ietf/draft-crocker-stdaddr-00.html>

        <http://www.brandenburg.com/ietf/draft-crocker-stdaddr-00.txt>

        <http://www.brandenburg.com/ietf/draft-crocker-stdaddr-00.doc>

        <http://www.brandenburg.com/ietf/draft-crocker-stdaddr-revs.ps>.

The first three are the raw document.  The .doc form is MS Word 6.01.  The
Word and postscript versions show modifications, except that I've removed
indications for the name/etc. information at the top and the tables that
I've created.  The revision marker made it uglier, rather than being
helpful.

d/

Dave Crocker                                            +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                             fax: +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr.
dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com
Sunnyvale CA 94086 USA                       http://www.brandenburg.com

Internet Mail Consortium               http://www.imc.org,