Re: Email Subaddressing

1997-08-01 11:29:06
If agents wish to constrain from addresses to fight spoofing or whatever but
allow subaddress editing, they can't do it because there is no uniformity of
subadressing.

Sorry, but you're wrong. The agent can rely on local configuration to
decide which addresses are permitted for each user.

My ``addalias'' program, published in 1993, does exactly this. An MUA
that reads the addalias configuration file for From control will follow
the same rules.

I'm not sure if the benefits warrant standardization but I don't accept
your arguments by dogmatic assertion:

And I don't accept yours. The difference is that my arguments are
supported by facts.

Standarizing things has benefits and costs.

But standardizing user interfaces, no matter how beneficial, is none of
the IETF's business.

I don't know where you get this idea that IETF standards are requirements.

What are you talking about? I said ``document... requiring that all MTAs
and LDAs work the same way.''

---Dan
Set up a new mailing list in a single command. http://pobox.com/~djb/ezmlm.html