MLM subaddress requirement

1997-08-05 09:24:50
On Tue, 5 Aug 1997 Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
'fred', 'fred+warbot', 'fred+ghost' etc to be the "same" or not.  As has
been pointed out, this has a *large* impact on MLM systems, and on anything
that wants to do cryptographic signatures.

This message is PGP-signed.  Would I have to add a new userid to my public
key and re-send it to the keyservers each time I started using a new
'+whatever'
address?  Remember - the answer to this is *NOT* PGP-specific... ;)

Suppose I re-word the MLM rule as follows:

---
A subaddress aware MLM MUST provide a way for a user to use his
primary address with a subaddress for subscription and use just his
primary address for posting.  Some ways to meet this requirement include:

(1) Having no restrictions on who can post to the list.

(2) Permitting subscribers to register different posting and submission
addresses.

(3) Ignoring subaddresses for the purpose of permitting postings.
---

This now directly dictates the interoperability issue rather than a
particular solution to it (which is what I should have done in the first
draft).  There are plenty of ways to address this requirement without any
significant impact on MLM systems or security validation.

Bottom line - I think this proposal is a non-starter unless it provides
a way for a *remote* system (such as a MLM or what-have-you) to
determine if the option is available or not.

Do you still feel this is necessary if I make the above change?

                - Chris