Re: Content-Type: text/paragraph. An alternative proposal

1998-02-16 10:00:48
At 13.13 +0000 98-02-16, Ian Bell wrote:
This definition of text/paragraph is also unlikely to be taken up by the
software vendor mainly responsible for misusing text/plain in the
messages that we see. At least one of its offerings treats unknown sub-
types of text as application/octet-stream and so they will be unable to
upgrade to text/paragraph without seriously breaking their installed
base.

How do you know this? Content-Type: text/paragraph is still only
a proposal. When it becomes a proposed standard, I am sure implementors
will begin supporting it.

I think the proposal in draft-newman-mime-textpara-00.txt is better
than your proposal. It does not require any modification of the text
itself, only better labelling of it, this must be simpler to implement.
Your proposal will make it difficult to intentionally send text with
spaces before line breaks, even if this may not be very meaningful,
it does not seem nice to restrict users from sending any text they
want!

Jacob Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> (Stockholm University and KTH)