Re: Content-Type: text/paragraph. An alternative proposal

1998-02-17 02:54:21

We have substantial experience that says we cannot define new textual media
types and expect widepspread deployment. Both text/richtext,
text/enriched, and
even text/html (in the context of email) have tried to do this and have not
succeeded.

text/html is beginning to succeed.
It's good for two things:

- passing formatted text inside a html-enabled community
- raising blood pressures in communities that don't "do" text/html :-)

I've actually seen text/html messages that were NOT followed up by
a flame to the author not to send such stuff - but it's still rare.

(wrt text/paragraph, I agree completely that it should be registered)

                    Harald A

NOTE: New Email address: Harald(_dot_)Alvestrand(_at_)maxware(_dot_)no
I am working for Maxware (www.maxware.no) as of Dec 1, 1997