Quoting (was Re: Content-Type: text/paragraph. An alternative proposal)

1998-02-19 10:00:03
Note that the mail below which I am responding to has a signature.  How easy
is it to check the signature with the quoting convention used?  Note that any
attempt at partial quoting break signatures.

Then there is encryption.  In general, you may need to decrypt and re-encrypt
any encrypted mail you are quoting.  At least, most likely, if it arrived
encrypted, you wouldn't want to sent out a quote from it in plain text by
default...

I suppose it may be too complex for people to worry about now, but it always
struck me that in the secure mail / MIME world, what you needed was some sort
of "window" MIME type.  If you want to quote something in such a way that the
recipient can veryify the signature on what you are quoting, then you need to
forward the entire signed object and have some way via a "window" MIME object
to reference it and say what part you are quoting.  Clever user interfaces to
show this and allow the user to grow the window and see more of the
authenticated original are left as an exercies for the reader...

But, as I say, I suppose this is too complex for the present...

Donald