Re: draft-gellens-format-00

1998-08-14 14:11:13
At 9:01 AM -0700 8/14/98, Rick Troth wrote:

      The world changes,  and people try to get machines
to do things that they couldn't do before.   I fully expect more
use of character recognition,  so that documents will get scanned
from paper.   In that scenario,  leading white space  *might*  survive,
trailing white space will probably be lost,  and intermediate white
space will be hard to quantify as anything more than  "just a blank".
Even today,  this behavior is seen in cut-n-paste operations.

The draft makes allowances for loss of trailing white space; the text
simply becomes format=fixed, and we are no worse off than we would be
without format=flowed.  Leading and intermediate white space is
irrelevant to the draft.