Re: draft-gellens-format-00

1998-08-19 18:09:07
At 7:31 PM -0500 8/19/98, Pete Resnick wrote:

On 8/19/98 at 4:52 PM -0700, Randall Gellens wrote:

We could say that.
But then there'd be no way to represent what I've typed here.
I don't know, but that doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

Seriously, though, even though all we will be missing is the ability to
"type haikus", it still seems like single line paragraphs come up enough
that we should deal with them somehow.

If you want to compose haikus, fine, send them as fixed lines.  You
don't want the recipient folding them anyway, do you?

No, that's my point. 1 line paragraphs should be eligible for folding. I
want all three of those lines above eligible for folding. I don't want
someone to give me a horizontal scrollbar to display the above on a small
display.

Ah, you want to be able to send a series of single-line paragraphs with
no separating blank lines and mark them as flowed.  Yes, the proposal
does not allow that, but I don't think it's worth adding complexity to
solve.  You can always put blank lines between your paragraphs, or live
with them being sent as fixed.  On the whole, we'd still be better off
then we are today.  I don't think we can solve everything, but if we
can solve the majority of cases, with a very simple mechanism, I think
it's worth trying.