Re: New I-D Transfer Encoding for MIME

1998-09-10 06:31:19
I tend to agree with Steve on this.  I've long thought that compressed
C-T-E might be useful, but I feel like events have undermined this
suspicion.  Text is generally too small to be not worth the bother of
compressing (nor the bother of phasing in a new C-T-E), and larger media
generally have built-in compression.  So my guess at this point is that
phasing in this new C-T-E would be a huge amount of effort for a very
small efficiency gain.

Having said that, extending mailcap-like mechanisms to advertise
recipient capabilities is more generally useful, and if it were
*already* in place, phasing in the new C-T-E would be a lot less
painful.  So I'd suggest focusing on the extension mechanisms first and
then, if still desired, *using* them for the new C-T-E deployment.  --
Nathaniel
--------
Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb(_at_)nsb(_dot_)si(_dot_)umich(_dot_)edu>
http://guppylake.com/~nsb/nsb-faq.html
--------