Re: text/*

1998-11-19 13:15:44
At 17.39 +0100 98-11-09, Laurence Lundblade wrote:
Yes, it would seem the good to see the raw HTML in place of nothing, but
there are still a few problems:

Your average user will still hate it and complain to the MUA vendor. For
them it seems that the MUA is broken. I think we should be designing MUAs
for folks that are totally non-technical these days and showing HTML to
them is really quite bad. A more suitable option would be have a dialog box
explaining the situation and then offering to display the raw HTML. Or
better yet, strip the HTML down to plain text, or provide a hand-off to the
browser (easier said than done because of imbedded images and such). In
practice I think any modern MUA that doesn't at least make a modest attempt
displaying HTML is a bit out of date.

Most implementations of HTML in e-mail use the
first choice, and HTML or Multipart/related containing HTML
as the second choice. This seems like another option for
doing what you are asking for.

Jacob Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> (Stockholm University and KTH)