Re: Supersedes versus Replaces

1999-01-06 18:25:46
While I'd like to keep the two formats as similar as possible
(and thus maximize the amount of sharable code)
it's far too late to insist that Usenet and email use the same
message format.  Fundamental protocol elements like From and Reply-To
have always had significant differences between email and usenet.
Heck, usenet doesn't even separate the delivery envelope from content.

I recommend we pursue a more limited goal of allowing the same
engine to *display* both email and usenet messages, while realizing
that other operations - like reply, supercedes, and others,
are going to be fundamentally different for one than the other.

Keith