Re: Supersedes versus Replaces

1999-01-07 08:41:35
On Wed, 06 Jan 1999 20:26:29 EST, Keith Moore said:
I recommend we pursue a more limited goal of allowing the same
engine to *display* both email and usenet messages, while realizing
that other operations - like reply, supercedes, and others,
are going to be fundamentally different for one than the other.

This sounds like a reasonable goal.  However, is there a good
programmatic way to decide whether a given object is email or netnews?
Since June 1998, I've received at least 656 pieces of e-mail that
contained a 'Newsgroups:' header (due to passing through news->mail
gateways, or being forwarded, etc), or about 4% of all the mail
I've bothered keeping statistics for.  I don't think 96% accuracy
is good enough here - is there a better way to tell which flavor
of MIME message a given object is?

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer