Re: The transition to UTF-8 header fields

1999-02-08 16:23:12
Keith Moore writes:
But if users rely on nonstandard features, they deserve whatever they get.

Your standards don't provide the features that the users want. You lose.

There's more than one way to lose.  You can lose because you invest
in nonstandard solutions and/or solutions that don't scale.
You can also lose because the standards don't meet your needs.

The current reality is that many users rely on unencoded ISO-8859-1. If
you ignore them, they will ignore you---and they're the ones in charge.

Users will use whatever works best for them, as soon as they find it.
Given competition between a standard that works and a nonstandard that
doesn't work, the standard will probably win out eventually.

Wrong.

I can't imagine what you could possibly be disagreeing with. The special
header field doesn't show up in any current messages.

Your lack of imagination is not my concern.

If you want to know why adding a header field doesn't work, go back
and read the archives of this mailing list from 1991 or so.

Keith