Re: reason for application/iotp-xml (was RE: Registration of MIME med ia type APPLICATION/IOTP)

2000-03-13 12:10:02
At 08:02 AM 3/13/00 -0800, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)innosoft(_dot_)com wrote:

[...]

Well, I would have hoped that the schema would be derivable from the content
without the need for a conneg tag. That is, given the labelling in the
content it should be possible to construct a URN automatically that tells
you where to look for the schema definition.

And again, unless you're dealing with application/xml, this seems like
an immutable property of the type.

From my reading, this is not true of the W3C vision of where XML in general, and RDF in particular, may be going.

I understand that the idea of using multiple schema in a single document is very much part of the long-term vision. So, for example, an invoice may be described in the language of business, but the items to which it refers may be described in a language described by some completely different schema. A business application may need to understand the invoice-schema parts of the invoice, but a manufacturing control application might need to understand a different set of information expressed in different terms.

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK(_at_)ACM(_dot_)ORG)