Re: reason for application/iotp-xml (was RE: Registration of MIME med ia type APPLICATION/IOTP)

2000-03-15 06:44:40
At 10:59 AM 3/14/00 +0000, Charles Lindsey wrote:
>(1) It effectively defines a content-type parameter that spans multiple
>    top-level content types. This is against the rules.

But what if that is the way the real world operates? You can't say that,
just because MIME has such a rule, then the real world is constrained to
stick with data types that fit within that rule. The real world ain't
like that. So maybe the time has come to review the rule.

That's like saying: I have a hammer; in the real world there are nails and there are screws, so when I see a screw, I must try and use my hammer to drive in that screw, rather that finding (or designing) a screwdriver.

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK(_at_)ACM(_dot_)ORG)