Re: reason for application/iotp-xml (was RE: Registration of MIME med ia type APPLICATION/IOTP)

2000-03-13 04:12:02
Ned,

When you say:
All of these approaches were explored in depth already on the XML-MIME list.
All of them have major disadvantages over the tagging scheme presently
proposed. I ended up in strong opposition to all of them, whereas I could find
no good reason to oppose this approach.

Was the 'Content-features' + CONNEG proposal one of those that you strongly opposed for this purpose? If so, I'd like to know why.

I've briefly reviewed the XML-MIME discussion, but haven't been able to spot anything that argues against this approach, except that there was an expressed requirement for a very "simple" way to detect XML content.

The Murata proposal goes some way toward this and, like you, I see it as "mostly harmless", even though it may be messy at times. But I don't think it can ever be a complete solution: I cannot see that it will be reasonable to enforce that all processors will reliably recognize XML in this way. But a simple mechanism --like Murata-- that can work much of the time may still be useful on occasion. I refer in particular to your comment quoted at the end of this message.

Where this leads me is: what is an appropriate mechanism for describing for precisely the XML use of some content? I offer something along the lines of:

(Where <URI> can refer to a DTD, XML-schema, RDF-schema or other XML-related document schema.) The CONNEG framework can allow this to be extended to deal with compound documents that are part-XML, or to compound XML documents that use different schema in different parts. I also believe this can be designed to interwork cleanly with some ideas being considered for W3C CC/PP.

Finally, I note that one of the objections raised on the XML-MIME list was a desire to avoid using content negotiation protocols in order to discover that a document contains XML. I agree. I observe that neither the CONNEG framework, nor the 'Content-features:' proposal, is a negotiation protocol per se. They are mechanisms for describing content features and handling capabilities, which may be used as part of a negotiation framework, but studiously avoid defining any negotiation protocol.

#g