Re: Finishing the XML-tagging discussion

2000-03-20 15:56:42
At 03:30 PM 3/20/00 -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
the thing you are proposing creates a very obvious and plausible risk.
you aren't addressing that risk.  to me that seems shortsighted.

It's a plausible risk only if HTTP 1.1 or other protocols are explicitly
reopened and modified.  Otherwise, it's pretty easy to point to the spec
and say "No.  That's forbidden."  It might be a good idea to present these
issues in the I-D, and make clearer that this document does not permit such
extensions, but this 'risk' is not inherent in the proposal itself.

However, I repeat:
KM>>or to put it another way, if we're going to invent a new syntatical
KM>>convention for describing content-type characteristics, let's
KM>>pick one that actually works with content negotiation
KM>>rather than one which requires drastic changes to content
KM>>negotiation frameworks.

SSL>I have yet to hear what those 'drastic changes' involve.  More details
SSL>would be greatly appreciated.

I would still appreciate details describing the consquences of this risk.

Thanks!

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth