Re: Finishing the XML-tagging discussion

2000-03-20 18:46:31
At 08:29 PM 3/20/00 -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
I'm still looking for damage, though I'm concluding more and more that
there simply isn't any, and that this discussion is only circling.

let me put it this way: some people are quite happy to pollute the MIME
content-type space, and to alter existing dispatching mechanisms and
existing content-negotiation mechanisms, in order to establish an ad hoc
recognition scheme for XML objects as quickly as possible.  others are
more concerned about the longevity of the overall MIME architecture and
want to see that the likely effects of such changes are carefully
considered before such changes are widely adopted or endorsed.

Carefully considered concerns are one thing, but evidence of actual damage
is another. Your bias is obvious, yet your concerns are unsubstantiated.

Do you have substantial evidence of real 'pollution'?  I'm quite happy to
carefully consider the impact of such pollution, but I have yet to see such
impact described in any credible detail.

Again, please describe the impact.

Thank you.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications