Re: Finishing the XML-tagging discussion

2000-03-20 20:21:12
Requesting yet again.  Could we please have details of this horrible
problem inflicted by the -xml suffix?

Let me try and state what I think the problem that have been brought up are:

(1) We have to deal with what happens should another one of these suffixes
    be defined at some point. Now, I have pointed out that we can define
    things in such a way that this is defered until #2 comes along. But
    if we want to tackle it now we certainly can. The simplest option is
    to insist on these tags being in alphabetical order in any media type
    name.

(2) There is concern that this will lead to use of stuff like */*-xml in
    HTTP accept fields even if we specifically disallow it. I would like to
    address this by defining a conneg feature tag that says "the underlying
    syntax here is xml". This would be in addition to the "-xml" suffix, and
    would apply even to cases where media types aren't specified or where
    the -xml suffix isn't used.

If there are any other concrete problems I've missed them and would
appreciate hearing about them.

                                Ned