Re: Correct display of "To:" value

2000-05-25 02:25:52
Jacob Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> writes:

I got an email from an email user, complaining that MS
Outlook 2000 shows the name of the sender in possibly
incorrect way. He wrote (I have not checked myself) that he
got the same mail header displayed in the following two
ways by MS Outlook 2000 and Netscape 4.6:

The header received by MS Outlook 2000 looks like this:

From: Andreas(_dot_)Pfneisl(_at_)reflex(_dot_)at
(Andreas(_dot_)Pfneisl(_at_)reflex(_dot_)at)

The header received by Netscape Communicator 4.6 looks like this:

From: "Andreas Pfneisl" <Andreas(_dot_)Pfneisl(_at_)reflex(_dot_)at>

"Received" or "displayed"?

If they received different headers, that would probably be ok
(investigate why that occured? Gateways etc).  If the programs
displayed the same header (which one?) in those two formats, I guess
the conversion algorithm(s) used might destroy information for the
user.

Any comment on these two formats?

Both look fine to me, the first is mailbox (addr-spec + comment) and
the other mailbox (phrase route-addr).  Or did I missunderstand your
question?