Re: Is 8BIT ESTMP really needed

2001-05-04 00:32:25
On Thu, 3 May 2001 ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

Most, but not all. Only a few weeks back I got a complaint about a message
rejection that turned out to be someone sending unnegotiated 8bit to a system
that was having none of it. Turning on conversion to quoted-printable solved
the problem.

There are some people who believe that Q-P is an abomination. There are
some people who believe that you shouldn't use it because there are
receiving MUA clients that can't understand it. This may be a myth, of
course. There are also people who believe that MTAs shouldn't "tamper
with messages". Some of these people implement MTAs. I don't think there
will ever be consensus on this issue. At least not until the whole world
is 8-bit clean.

ph10(_at_)cus(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44
1223 334714.