Re: pop in, imap out?

2001-05-04 01:02:04
It's always interesting to hear someone deal with a question dismissively, presuming that the real problem is solved by just simplifying things.

As you note, the simplistic model that was suggested has its own drawbacks.

My note explained the scenario I want to support. My laptop is my office; it contains the master mailbox files. At home, I want to access them from my desktop. Replication and synchronization between the two machines is not a viable approach, with current tools, since

        a) they will not be guaranteed to be sufficiently up to date,

b) too much data would be copied, due to the nature of mailbox message addition.

Unfortunately, simply having the desktop access the mailbox files via remote file access suffers astonishingly bad performance.

So far, I have found web-based access essentially useless, due to high message flow needing more partitioning that web-based tools provide. Besides that, I like to process mail offline.

d/

At 07:38 PM 5/3/2001, Keith Moore wrote:
> Forward all you PoP email accounts to one account and then either read them
> from there or read them via webmail.

egad.  I can't speak for Dave, but having all of my mail end up in a
single mailbox would be a disaster.  So, for that matter, would having
to read my mail via the web (though it would be useful in a pinch).

Dave Crocker   <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Brandenburg InternetWorking   <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel: +1.408.246.8253;   fax: +1.408.273.6464