Re: pop in, imap out?

2001-05-04 08:15:56
I once saw a cute windows mail server called FTGate... I just went to
their website (http://ftgate.com) but these people doesn't seem to know a
word about IMAP... it can fetch mail from different POP accounts into one
mailbox, but you can only acces that mailbox either through POP or
webmail...

Anyway, you can also script mailboxes so they deliver it somwhere else,
that way, you could deliver it to an IMAP server, but, especially on an
MS box, you're kinda having 2 mailservers on the same box and that is
usually way too harder to manage than in a unix box.

Also, take note that it's a commercial product (it has a 30 day
evaluation demo) and there are 4 or 5 different versions, you should
check which one is closer to (or less far from) what you need.

On the other hand, you could install any IMAP server you like and write a
little POP client to access remote mailboxes and deliver locally (either
through IMAP or through a local SMTP connection)... that shouldn't be too
hard with Perl and a couple of modules from CPAN, I heard ActivePerl is
quite stable... the point would be to have an interface for users to
modify their POP client.

I don't know, there should be something better, but this is my 2c
contrib...