Re: pop in, imap out?

2001-05-07 08:23:40
--On Thursday, May 03, 2001 10:11:15 AM -0700 Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> wrote:

This is sufficiently bizarre, I need to broadcast the query...

When trying to access a user's set of mailboxes from multiple machines --
eg, laptop and desktop -- just using operating system file sharing can be
a  performance problem.

So I am looking for some software that will use POP to pull down my mail
from various network accounts, and then will make the mail available via
IMAP.

That is, the "client" side of the server will go out and get new mail and
incorporate it into its storage environment.  The server side of the
server  will allow other clients to access the store via IMAP.

Does anyone know of such a WIN2K server?

One option is to find a conventional client that supports filtering between multiple accounts (POP and IMAP). You could then setup any old IMAP server on your laptop, and configure your mail client with the POP accounts and the one IMAP account and have the mail client do the POP->IMAP move operation whenever it checks for mail on the POP servers. I know of at least one client that would let you do that...

This would not be as efficient as say the fetchmail approach but it may be a lot easier to setup if you're already familiar with client-side filtering.

--
Cyrus Daboo