Re: pop in, imap out?

2001-05-03 15:53:09
Why go though all this trouble?

Forward all you PoP email accounts to one account and then either read them
from there or read them via webmail.

Not sure why this would be an issue at all.

-al

----- Original Message -----
From: <ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com>
To: "Dave Crocker" <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: pop in, imap out?

This is sufficiently bizarre, I need to broadcast the query...

When trying to access a user's set of mailboxes from multiple
machines --
eg, laptop and desktop -- just using operating system file sharing can
be a
performance problem.

So I am looking for some software that will use POP to pull down my mail
from various network accounts, and then will make the mail available via
IMAP.

That is, the "client" side of the server will go out and get new mail
and
incorporate it into its storage environment.  The server side of the
server
will allow other clients to access the store via IMAP.

Does anyone know of such a WIN2K server?

Fetchmail does stuff like this. It is pretty portable, but I don't know
if it is built for WIN2K or not. However, you can run fetchmail on one
system and have it pull mail from another and send it to a third, so
platform isn't particularly relevant.

Ned