Re: Is 8BIT ESTMP really needed

2001-05-10 04:12:26
In <3AF8C943(_dot_)490D0745(_at_)att(_dot_)com> Tony Hansen
<tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com> writes:

The gateways I've worked on that did up/down conversion were very
careful to differentiate between QP conversions in text/* parts and
anything/else parts. Text parts can make all sorts of assumptions about
CRs and LFs, but anything/else parts cannot. For example, the QP that I
generate for anything/else parts always uses =0D or =0A for CRs and LFs,
and uses soft newlines (=CRLF) after such CRs, LFs or CRLFs (and for
splitting apart long lines). This preserves the CRs and LFs while still
breaking the lines at the same locations within the attachment.

OK, it looks as though the "best" servers do it properly, which is good.
But there is nothing in the RFCs to say it SHOULD be done that way, so I
daresay there are many servers that won't. I will have to look at what the
Perl Mail package does.

But it will certainly remove all uncertainty from computing the
Content-Md5 - until it comes across a server that upconverts followed by
another that downconverts again :-( .

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.