Re: Interpretation of 2822 needed

2001-05-09 23:49:18
** Sometime around 19:47 -0500 05/09/01, Pete Resnick sent us:
On 5/9/01 at 7:44 PM -0400, Vince Sabio wrote:

To me, this means that the local-part of an address may either be quoted or may contain dot-atoms, but may not contain embedded quoted substrings. For example, consider the following address local-parts:

VALID: vince.sabio
VALID: "vince sabio" (deprecated, but nonetheless valid)
NOT VALID: vince."human mail server".sabio

Is my interpretation of 3.4.1 correct, or am I reading something wrong here?

This is correct for the *generate* syntax. Do note however that it is legal in the obsolete (i.e., interpreting) syntax.

Ah, yes. Thank you for the distinction; it's relevant for what we're doing.

In 3.4.1 you have:

addr-spec       =       local-part "@" domain

local-part      =       dot-atom / quoted-string / obs-local-part

and in 4.4 you have:

obs-local-part  =       word *("." word)

where "word" is defined as atom or quoted-string. So an implementation must be able to handle your third example even though it must not be generated in new implementations.

This raises a final (I hope) question. If I understand this correctly, the following local-part would not be valid either for generating or receiving (i.e., this would not be considered a valid local-part):

vince"local part"sabio

...since the dot-atoms are missing the dots.

Many thanks for all of the responses/clarifications I have received on this thread.

Vince Sabio
vsabio(_at_)vjs(_dot_)org