Re: Interpretation of 2822 needed

2001-05-09 21:14:44
From: "Vince Sabio" <vince-isoc(_at_)vjs(_dot_)org>
To me, this means that the local-part of an address may either be
quoted or may contain dot-atoms, but may not contain embedded quoted
substrings. For example, consider the following address local-parts:

VALID: vince.sabio
VALID: "vince sabio" (deprecated, but nonetheless valid)
NOT VALID: vince."human mail server".sabio

Is my interpretation of 3.4.1 correct, or am I reading something
wrong here?

That's how I interpret both the text and the ABNF of 3.4.1.

If you want to put quotation marks in the local-part, you have to use a
quoted-string containing quoted-pairs: