Resource Records for RFC2919

2001-05-13 12:49:27
I received a question about RFC2919 from a friend of mine who works for a list hosting site. His question is:

I spoke to the mail guys about implementing RFC2919 compliant header
stripping and insertion and they said it would be really easy to do (read:
no code change necessary).  The difficult part, however, is the part of
the RFC where it talks about extending DNS as the namespace for managing
unique list-ids.

The RFC doesn't give any specific recommendations about how to implement
the resolution of list-ids through DNS.  Do you think that they were
envisioning list-id resolution through DNS by smart MUAs?

If so, do you have any notion of what type of RR we would use for
list-ids?  Should *.list-id.DOMAIN.com be A records with associated MXs?

I'm going on memory for 2919 (I'm on the road at the moment, with only e-mail and WAP access), but I don't recall anything that discussed this issue directly. Can anyone comment on this? I'm also curious for my own mailing lists, as we are planning to implement RFC2919-compliant headers on all the lists.

Thanks,
Vince