Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-02-08 10:59:13

At 11:39 AM 2/8/2002 -0600, Pete Resnick wrote:
Now, we may wish to add a process after registration that calls for approval (or disapproval), and the results of that process can attach to any registration. And I don't care how onerous that approval process is. Heck, make it require a standards track RFC for all I care. What I want is for approval to be a completely separate act from registration.

exactly.

the core of this debate is a failure to distinguish the act of registration from the act of review (and approval.)

sometimes, some people DO take a registration to imply some sort of approval. however there are always some people, somewhere, who do things wrong.

basing an entire system on that possibility is a good way to ensure that nothing productive gets done.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464