Re: Message Header Field Registry - revised proposal

2002-02-21 10:29:24

At 04:36 PM 2/21/2002 +0000, Graham Klyne wrote:
The main change is a refactoring into a permanent registry and a provisional repository.

The split into two categories seems like an especially helpful change, given the concerns that have been expressed.

I think that consideration of the split can divide into two different levels. One is the nature of the distinction between the two categories and the other is the detailed rules for each.

The 'nature' of the proposed distinction is temporal: -- permanent versus temporary. Over the course of the IETF's history, I think that the pragmatics of temporariness has tended to prove to be elusive, misleading or wrong.

My sense of the major focus of concern in the current discussion is between official, formal, standardized reservations, versus those that are outside of such processes. That is, the focus is about the authority behind specific entries. The ones that are not part of the public, offical, formal world are private or proprietary.

So, separate from the fine-grained details, I would like to propose that the split be between Standardized vs. Proprietary.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464