Re: Message Header Field Registry - revised proposal

2002-02-28 14:28:59

At 04:16 PM 2/28/02 +0000, Charles Lindsey wrote:
>At 10:59 AM 2/27/02 +0000, Charles Lindsey wrote:
>> >
>>I would have expected experimental specs to refer to the author(s) just
>>like the informational ones.

>Maybe ... I was presuming an experimental RFC here, which has IETF
>consensus for publication.  I don't feel strongly either way.

Does it? I thought publication of an experimental RFC was more or less
automatic, except that the IESG might insist on a disclaimer or, in
extreme cases only, block it entirely.

Note I said consensus for _publication_. Aren't experimental RFCs last-called? (That would be my touchstone here.)

>>Would this cover the case where, say, USEFOR defines a header that has a
>>minor difference from RFC2822 (e.g. msg-id where we forbid a SP, even
>>after a '\').  Would the Spec then say USEFOR, but the related say "based
>>on RFC 2822"?

>That seems to fit the general intent.  I think the primary specification in
>this case would be USEFOR, but it would be helpful to cite RFC2822 since it
>contains material incorporated by reference.  Inevitable, there will be
>some judgement calls here.

An alternative might be to list several specifications, perhaps in some
prioritized order.

I wondered about that, but was concerned it might create possible confusion in other areas. I think there should always be a single definitive spec, even if others documents are included by reference.

>> > 3.4 Objections to registration
>> >
>>I think you need to include conflict with other ongoing work within the
>>IETF as a valid ground.

>This list was intended to be illustrative rather than
>exhaustive.  Ultimately, blocking is a matter for IETF consensus, via the
>IESG, so I'd rather not grow the list unless you feel strongly about
>mentioning this particular point.

I think it is a case of some practical importance.

OK, I'll take it you feel strongly about it ;-)

#g

<Graham(_dot_)Klyne(_at_)Baltimore(_dot_)com>    <http://www.mimesweeper.com>
                                <http://www.baltimore.com>