Re: BOF: Format-Flowed and Non-Western Charsets

2002-03-19 06:31:12

For English I understand the motivation: f=f permits
paragraph-oriented text with good backward compatibility and little
visual impact.
Thinking about it, the set of languages for which a spaceless f=f
would be useful seems to be just the languages that:

This discussion shows exactly why I objected to f=f when it was first brought up. I withdrew my objection because this was simple and (relatively) harmless, and people wanted it. I'll raise the objection again now:

Leave it simple. Make no changes. If the current rules/practice for f=f doesn't fit your situation, send text/html. That's what you should be doing anyway these days, and f=f is just a *simple* compatibility thing.

Barry

--
Barry Leiba, Internet Messaging Technology
(leiba(_at_)watson(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com)