Re: BOF: Format-Flowed and Non-Western Charsets

2002-03-19 09:06:43

On 3/19/02 at 8:31 AM -0500, Barry Leiba wrote:

For English I understand the motivation: f=f permits
paragraph-oriented text with good backward compatibility and little
visual impact.
Thinking about it, the set of languages for which a spaceless f=f
would be useful seems to be just the languages that:

This discussion shows exactly why I objected to f=f when it was first brought up. I withdrew my objection because this was simple and (relatively) harmless, and people wanted it. I'll raise the objection again now:

Leave it simple. Make no changes. If the current rules/practice for f=f doesn't fit your situation, send text/html. That's what you should be doing anyway these days, and f=f is just a *simple* compatibility thing.

I'm baffled by both Arnt's and Barry's comments. If I'm writing an e-mail client that is in use in Japan, it is completely unacceptable to always send HTML (legacy receiving apps and for all of the other obvious reasons). Still, when the user types their message into my client, the text autowraps, and it autowraps on word (i.e., character) boundaries. It is still desireable to send out that message without irrevocably hard wrapping paragraphs and ridiculous not to allow it in certain character sets because we couldn't get the spec right in the first place.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102