Re: BOF: Format-Flowed and Non-Western Charsets

2002-03-20 03:29:27

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Randall Gellens <randy(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> wrote:

There is no suggestion to add language tags. There are really only two proposals: (A) keep f=f as it is now, and add text to the spec which says it is OK to delete the space as well as the CRLF under some conditions;

My point was that you will have to be careful about those conditions, because existing clients may well be sending utf-8 in Western charsets where the current rules are fine.

You mustn't end up specifying the conditions such that the display of messages from deployed clients breaks just because there is an 8bit utf-8 code at the break position.

and (B) obsolete f=f and introduce f=x where the space is always deleted.

What about (C) f=f => leave space and f=x => delete space? Nothing breaks and non-Western charsets can be flowed with the newer standard.

--
Ian Bell                                           T U R N P I K E