Re: IDN (was Did anyone tell Microsoft yet?)

2002-04-30 09:12:15

In <200204300026(_dot_)g3U0Que23821(_at_)astro(_dot_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

So we need to know now where Email is going on the IDNA front, and if
there are going to be changes to accomodate IDNA, then one might as well
look into the UTF-8 change at the same time. One upheaval is always better
than two.

so when you want to go up a hill, you'd rather climb one 10 foot wall
than 10 1-foot steps?

Yes, in some situations. Particularly when the cost of making a move
includes a large constant term independent of the height of the step.

For example, the cost (in terms of general irritation, hassle, etc) of
persuading the whole email community to implement some change worldwide is
largely independent of the size of that change. My point is that we are
shortly have to do that in any case in order to bring IDNA in in an
orderly fashion.

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.