Re: Dreaming about replacements (was IDN (was Did anyone tellMicrosoft ye

2002-05-06 05:31:06

Keith,

Maybe your comment isn't aimed at the proposal I mentioned, but just for the record, it *was* prepared in response a real problem - IM (though in the end not used for that problem), and it was actually used in a product prototype. And I tried to be quite clear both in the document and in discussions that it wasn't considered a replacement for any existing messaging infrastructure.

I happen to see a requirement for extensible message metadata. Beyond just sending messages, that is. I also think it is valuable if such metadata is exchangeable between systems.

#g
--

At 06:33 PM 5/3/02 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> It seems to me that we should be cataloging the kinds of requirements that
> we want from a new message.

It seems to me that we should be trying to solve real problems rather than
trying to invent new things that serve no purpose except to disrupt the
installed base.

If you want to do something useful for email, how about figuring out how to
make it really reliable, or spam-proof, or virus proof?

Keith

Graham Klyne
<GK(_at_)NineByNine(_dot_)org>