Re: Dreaming about replacements (was IDN (was Did anyone tellMicrosoft ye

2002-05-06 08:57:46

We are both trying to solve known problems, we are just taking different
approaches. I would hope that you would recognize that I am trying to take
the long-view by advocating a message format and protocol that addresses
the multiple roots of the multiple known problems. All of the evidence
shows that codec-based cures introduce additional interoperability
failures of their own, so I don't see them as being anything other than
short-term patches.

sure, but the evidence also shows that new formats and protocols introduce
interoperability problems and disruption.  I'm sure we will need new
formats and protocols eventually, but I don't think they're justified
until they can provide a substantially better level of service.
I haven't seen any evidence that we even know how to significantly
improve mail service by any means, much less one that requires a
change ot the mssage format.

To wit, 2047_Group:idna; is likely to malfunction for the majority of the
mailers

it won't malfunction any more often than "ascii-group: ascii-address;"

Keith