Re: Dreaming about replacements (was IDN (was Did anyone tellMicrosoft ye

2002-05-08 09:14:36

In <200205072157(_dot_)g47Lvsg08998(_at_)astro(_dot_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

Surely, the lesson to be learned is that Codecs are more trouble than they
are worth, and that sooner or later we need to have a Final Solution to
the problem.

surely the lesson to be learned is that those who don't understand history
are doomed to repeat past mistakes.  "Final Solutions" are neither.

And Codecs are one of those past mistakes. That was my point, and yet you
still seem to envisage repeating that mistake.

UTF-8 may not be a "final solution", but it is a much cleaner solution
than anything else on offer, and it has considerable extensibility built
into it, and a strong and authoritative body (the Unicode Consortium) to
keep it on track. I think is will hold the field at least as long as ASCII
did.

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.