Re: Dreaming about replacements (was IDN (was Did anyone tellMicrosoft ye

2002-05-06 09:13:20

In <3CD401AF(_dot_)D6DC2547(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com> "Eric A. Hall"
<ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com> writes:

We need a new message format if we want to allow UTF-8 directly in the
message headers. You will probably argue that a UI facade will work just
as well for this, but you will be wrong.

Not a new message format surely? Just an extension opf the present format.

We need a new message format if we want to be able to encrypt the full
message (message headers and body, rather than just the body), since the
commingling of transfer and message headers prevents that now.

Do you mean signature, or encryption, or both? Eitherway, selective
signature of just some headers is already deployed (pgpverify) and
something similar should be possoble for encryption. See
draft-lindsey-usefor-signed-01.txt (which was designed primarily for news,
but should work in mail just as well).

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.