Re: Dreaming about replacements (was IDN (was Did anyone tellMicrosoft ye

2002-05-06 00:15:37

Keith Moore wrote:

I would suggest that the encoding above is much simpler and cleaner
than a group address with multiple ACE sequences.

nope, because the ACE parses just like any other domain name.

We were talking about benefit to humans.

 <PrimaryRecipient>
   <DisplayName>Lõçal Admins</DisplayName>
   <Mailbox>fred(_at_)lõçal</Mailbox>
   <Mailbox>joe(_at_)lõçal</Mailbox>
 </PrimaryRecipient>

versus

 To:=?iso-8859-1?Q?L=F5=E7?=al_Admins: fred(_at_)zz-adsadfsd,
joe(_at_)zz-adsadfsd;

As postmaster for your org, which would you rather troubleshoot?

I prefer the latter by far. It is far easier to pick out the truly relevant
parts. And it being all-ASCII is a HUGE advantage, as many tools tools don't
handle non-ASCII character output or input well at all. This isn't much of a
problem when dealing with Latin-1, but it gets pretty tense when dealing
with, say, Japanese or Chinese characters.

                                Ned