Re: text/html an abomination

2002-05-06 18:14:37

   From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
   cc: ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
   Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 23:43:52 -0400

   > I also have friends with webmail accounts, and some of those
   > webmailers default to text/html, WITHOUT the
   > multipart/alternative of text/plain. Gagh.

   that wouldn't bother me a bit if such messages didn't have so much
   gratuitous markup.  in the vast majority of html messages I see,
   the html contains no more information than could have been conveyed
   in plain text, but has so much cruft in it that it essentially
   cannot be read as text.

Who cares?  Your HTML renderer looks at the "cruft" and does the right
thing and you never see it.

Larry