Re: text/html an abomination

2002-05-06 19:00:58

At 11:43 PM 5/5/2002 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
that wouldn't bother me a bit if such messages didn't have so much gratuitous
markup. in the vast majority of html messages I see, the html contains no more
information than could have been conveyed in plain text, but has so much
cruft in it that it essentially cannot be read as text.

When people first get access to mechanisms for formatting, fonts, etc., they tend to overuse it. Over time, they learn to be more judicious.

Formatting that is done well aids the communication, rather than detracting from it, and adds another dimension to the communication.

Let's not damn the capability just because some people have not yet learned to use it.

The idea that email content should be required to have less visual control than a web page or a document simply doesn't make any sense.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.850.1850